Regnum Christi proposes a Christianity that is active and enthusiastic in love, and a way of life that helps members live their baptismal commitments and fulfill the mission of being Christian leaven in the world. Lay members of Regnum Christi develop this way of life in their spiritual life, formation, apostolate, personal accompaniment, and team life. (RL 2)
The five elements of a lay member’s vocation to Regnum Christi shape the way they respond to the personal call from God that they have experienced and embraced by associating to the Regnum Christi Federation. These five facets of life outline how they live their baptismal commitments in the midst of temporal realities according to the charism of Regnum Christi. In fulfilling their vocation, they extend Christ’s presence in the world and transform human realities, especially in their family, professional, and social lives, in accordance with the Gospel (see Statutes of the Regnum Christi Federation 5 §4).
1. The first element is the spiritual life. The core of a Regnum Christi member’s life is to know Christ’s love, love him deeply in return, and share that love with others. “Lay members of Regnum Christi understand the spiritual life as a progressive development of the Trinitarian life within them, which leads to configuration with Christ. Therefore, they live it as a dynamic relationship of love with God, nourished by the sacraments, the Word of God, the liturgy, prayer, and the exercise of the moral and theological virtues. Their spiritual life permeates and harmonizes all aspects of their life.” (RL3) This is what that looks like in the life of a lay member of Regnum Christi: First Element of Regnum Christi- The Spiritual Life.
2. The second element of the life of a Regnum Christi member is formation. Integral formation is formation in the spiritual, human, intellectual, and apostolic areas of our lives. It allows us to form a strong and rich Catholic worldview, develop our capacity to go deeper in our relationship with Christ and to “always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you for the reason for your hope.” (1 Peter 3:15) Here are some resources for members to develop their integral formation: Second Element of Regnum Christi- Formation.
3. The third element of life in Regnum Christi is apostolate, or mission. The mission of a Regnum Christi member covers all aspects of life. It begins with the foundation of building their own relationship with God, living their God-given vocation and state in life as their personal path to holiness, and then impacting the world around them through a life lived in union with God that reaches out to others in evangelization and apostolate. The Third Element of Regnum Christi- Apostolate.
4. The fourth element of life in Regnum Christi is Personal Accompaniment. Regnum Christi sees personal accompaniment as essential in following Christ. We seek to accompany each other as Christ accompanied people in the Gospel, person to person, discerning and following the path of holiness together. Personal accompaniment can be natural and spontaneous, as in friendships, or more formal and intentional, as in Spiritual Direction. Pope Francis states that the Church invites everyone, “priests, religious and laity – into this art of accompaniment which teaches us to remove our sandals before the sacred ground of the other (cf. Ex 3:5)… Missionary disciples accompanying missionary disciples.” (Evangelii Gaudium) The Fourth Element of Regnum Christi- Personal Accompaniment.
5. The fifth element of life in Regnum Christi is team life. Modeled on the first Christian communities, Regnum Christi members gather as communities of apostles to pray, to evangelize, and to support and encourage each other in the living of their Christian vocation. Team life provides a nucleus of spiritual friendship, a community that is there to share the gifts and challenges of daily life with each other, and a group of like-minded apostles who work together to bring the light of the Gospel to those around them. The Fifth Element of Regnum Christi- Team Life.
Email: [email protected]